Editorial Policy (under revision, July 2009)
AcqWeb is a World Wide Web site providing links to information and resources of interest to librarians with acquisitions or collection development responsibilities. The scope is international. Sites linked to include, but are not limited to:
- Sources for verification of bibliographic information;
- Email addresses for library vendors and publishers of interest to librarians;
- Web home pages for library vendors and publishers of interest to librarians;
- Associations and organizations of use to or for acquisitions and collection development librarians;
- Electronic journals and newsletters of professional interest;
- Archives for electronic conferences of professional interest;
- Web reference resources of use to acquisitions and collection development librarians;
- Gateways to more topical Web sites of interest; and
- Links to search engines and subject classifications of the Web.
AcqWeb is currently undergoing complete revision. A new site is being designed using an open source content management system called Drupal. Watch this site for more information.
AcqWeb began in 1994 as Ms. Acquisitions, and changed names in 1995, when it became affiliated with ACQNET-L, the electronic newsletter for Acquisitions librarians.
The editors reserve the right to make all decisions regarding content, links and descriptions included in all AcqWeb documents and files. Suggestions are welcome. However, the editor has final say on what is included. Linking to a site is not to be construed as an endorsement, and similarly not linking to a site is not to be construed as the reverse.
Vendors and jobbers included on AcqWeb's publisher and vendor pages do business with and are set up to accommodate the special needs of libraries. Thus, book stores are not typically included.
AcqWeb links to publishers whose publications are used by libraries. It does not link to sites not deemed part of the publishing community used by libraries. Also, it does not typically link to publishers of only one or two publications.
Subject classification and descriptions of publishers are also the purview of the editor. Due to the structure of the database, at this time, no publisher is linked under more than two subjects. The editor appreciates suggestions from a publisher on language to be used in a brief description of their operation, but again reserves the right to make a final decision. Promotional language to describe a site is not used nor are long descriptions.
The contents of all AcqWeb documents and files, including graphic images, are copyrighted. No part of this publication may be copied or reproduced in any form or by any means without the prior permission of the editor.